Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My First Birthday in Japan

My birthday was this weekend. It was wonderful. Every time I sit down to blog I always think “I need to blog about teaching English in Japan!” BUT… it hasn’t happened and isn’t going to happen today. Except to tell you that I have a new student whom I meet with once a week. She rides the train about 1.5 hours, I pick her up, sign her onto the base, bring her to my apartment and we chat. She is very fascinating and I feel so lucky to have her as my student. The reason I am telling you all of this now is because she invited me and my two friends Adam and Cari to the pub she owns for my birthday!

Long story short I felt like royalty! The patrons of her pub were so colorful and I really enjoyed meeting all of them. We were served the best food I’ve had to date in Japan… sashimi, chicken yakitori, shrimp tempura, pumpkin tempura, potatoes, yakisoba, edamame, fruit, wine and beer. It truly was a feast! We sang karaoke and did a little dancing, a lot of talking with the locals and she even arranged for us to have a ride home so we wouldn’t have to take the train back! She even sent us home with Tiramasu desserts. It was one of the best birthdays, and as I said before, I am so lucky to have her as my student! 

On Saturday I had some friends over to my place. I ordered a few pizzas and made a salad and cookies. My friend Kate even made me a homemade chocolate coffee cinnamon cake which truly tasted heavenly! I’m a huge chocolate addict so it hit the spot but wasn’t too sweet so the non-chocolate lovers of the bunch enjoyed it as well! Thanks again Kate! :)

After everyone left my place I headed over to a party that some of the people from the squadron were having. It’s to honor the guys and gals who are going to miss the holiday’s due to a deployment. It’s called an all-holiday party and you are supposed to wear Halloween costumes, eat Thanksgiving themed food, there’s a Christmas gift exchange and at midnight there’s a countdown with a champagne toast and everyone shouts “Happy New Year!” I think it’s a brilliant idea! I made it to the party about 10 ‘til midnight and participated in the “Happy New Year!” It was a lot of fun to see everyone dressed up and see some of the gifts that were exchanged. What a hoot.
Overall it was a really wonderful birthday! For those of you who don’t know my mom owns a ‘party rental business’. She has moonwalks, cotton candy, popcorn and snow-cone machines, giant slides, karaoke machines, margarita machines, balloon rooms, dunk tanks etc. (So if you’re in the Atlanta area and need any of these services contact me, I’m happy to put you in contact with her!!!) The point to this is: imagine how fabulous all of my birthday parties were while I was growing up! My parents never skimped on throwing the best parties for all three of us kids. My birthday always felt like a big deal. Now that I’m older and really don’t have anything to look forward to birthday wise (except my car insurance rates going down), except for a day to celebrate with friends and family (pending we’re on the same continent). But you know what? That’s all that it’s about! I am so thankful to have made so many good friends who came over to celebrate with me this weekend! I’m so fortunate! And I had a wonderful birthday, and I’m looking forward to the next 2 (maybe 3) in Japan!  Thanks to everyone who made me feel so special!

I'll get pictures up soon!

Chelsea

0 comments: