Thursday, September 29, 2011

Swimming and the Spa


Day 3 of our vacay began relatively low key. We had breakfast, swam in our private pool (because how often do you get to have your own private pool?), had lunch and then hit the spa. This was something George was really not digging. His idea of a good time is not laying still and getting a massage. He’d rather be doing cannon balls out of the bathroom window, over our waterfall and into our 4.5 foot deep pool. Trust me. I know. Because he did that all morning. He also said things like “Put down your book and watch this!” followed by “You weren’t watching!” And “Time me to see how long I can hold my breath!”  He seriously can’t sit still and just “be”. Poor guy. So one of my goals on this vacation was to get him to completely relax, even if it was for just a short amount of time. So we booked a “spa-day” with a package through the resort that included a couple’s massage (which they cleverly disguised as a ‘sports massage’ for men), facials, pedicures, and time in their steam room (aka, sauna). It was great. They served us some local juice, and showed us the showers. I thought it was great. It was certainly the best massage I’d ever had, and the facial was nice too. I even fell asleep for a while, which is a huge plus in my book.


Oh. And did I mention he also did jumps out the bathroom window into our pool? Cause he did. 


When we were done George expressed he thought it was sub-par and boring, but that’s ok. He got to pick manlier activities later on in the trip (and his were much more adventurous!)

We napped when we got back from the spa and then were able to get in touch with our friends Mel and DJ (the same Mel and DJ from our Fuji trip) who were staying on the same island. They were only a handful of resorts down the beach from us so we planned to walk south and they walk north and we’d eventually meet in the middle. The plan worked and it was fun to see some familiar faces in a foreign country! We had dinner with them, exchanged stories and advice about the area, had a few drinks and wound up at bar on the beach that had hookah. I had never smoked hookah and honestly never had much interest in it, but I tried it and actually did enjoy it. It was a neat and unique experience that I’m glad I had on a beach in Thailand but is probably not an activity I’ll make any sort of habit out of!

We also found vendors walking up and down the beach selling “lucky balloons” or “love balloons”. I learned about these from an episode of the Bachelorette when Ashley and her suitors were in Thailand and let a love balloon fly away. We all ooohed and awwwed over how cute and romantic it was. I was delighted to find these on the beach! So we bought a balloon (which is really like a miniature hot air balloon that you light at the bottom and the hot hair expands the cloth material and it eventually flies high in the sky. You can also make a wish when you set it free (I don’t know if that’s something real or if it’s something I made up, but I think I made a wish). It was presh.

This was also where George requested that I stopped comparing our vacation to the Bachelorette. Too bad, so sad George. Our vacation was even better than theirs, because our marriage will actually last. 

1 comments:

yahoo said...

I laughed out loud. So easy to vision. Glad it was so fun.