Monday, January 24, 2011

Happy 2011!

Happy January, friends!

I’m sorry to say that I obviously have not written since the new year! Lucky for you all, I started my classes back today, and in the spirit of being a true procrastinator… here I am writing a blog post! Ha!

New Years Eve was spent in a low key fashion. George and I, and two other couples hopped on a train and headed to Hachioji, a town not too far from here. We had hoped to eat at a noodle restaurant that plays round-the-clock Beatles music! BUT… since it was closed for NYE, it was a no-go. We eventually found a yakiniku restaurant that was open, and ate there. It was pretty good! We only had one minor ordering issue, when I tried to order a drink. I wanted sho-chu mixed with juice, and pointed at the picture and everything. I also wanted a water. What I received was hot water and sho-chu mixed, which was disgusting. Good try.

We made a quick run to Starbucks, and then hopped back on the train and back to the base. We rung in the New Year at midnight at our friends/neighbors place. There were about 6 couples, and it was a nice semi-low-key evening. We had champagne, counted down at midnight to the Japanese TV, kissed at midnight, did a little dancing to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero’s, and then went home and went to bed! The coverage we saw of the countdown didn’t involve a ball dropping, but instead, a gong being hit at a shrine! And instead of kissing, they threw money at the shrine.

New Years is a very family oriented holiday here. From what I gathered, most stores, restaurants and businesses are closed for a couple of days, and most of their time is spent with family, instead of partying.

Hope you all had a great time ringing in 2011 (can you believe it’s 2011?) with friends and family that you love!



-Chels

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Plane Jane said...

It was so fun to spend new years with you :-)