Saturday, January 29, 2011

“One of the best THINGS TO DO sometimes is simply to be.”

George (and I) are about to face his first deployment. I am doing okay with this notion. Until about a month ago, I wouldn’t even acknowledge that it was actually happening. I have a lot of thoughts on deployments, but since I have never actually had my husband leave, I don’t truly know what to expect. I think I do, but I’m sure I don’t.

We started dating when I was 18. (I turned 19 six weeks later). Before he would even call me his girlfriend we had a long talk about what it would be like to date a guy in the military. We both knew how strongly we were connected, and I knew dating him would put me in for the long haul. At this point, he was still in ROTC, but knew he’d be headed off soon. We discussed long distance relationships and deployments—how much they would suck etc. He gave me fair warning. But somehow, I never really thought a deployment would happen… well- I know it would happen, but it just felt so far off that I didn’t think the time would ever actually arrive.

WRONG.

Here it is. What’s that Ferris Bueller quote??? “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” No kidding.

This will be a relatively short deployment. I feel like I can’t even complain for a second because I know so many other military spouses have their husbands leave for many many more months than what we’re going to do!

I had an idea to keep my chin up. I’m going to make a list of things to do while he is gone- and actually accomplish them. I’m going to excel at many of them, squeak by with others, but all in all, I’m going to make a list and DO IT!

Here’s what I have so far:

1. Finish our wedding scrapbook. (Our third wedding anniversary is almost here, and I am not even close to being done with it. I’m SO BAD!)
2. Finish 18 hours of college credit. (This is already in the works… I’m taking 9 hours now, and I’ll do another 9 from April-June… Yes, I know I’m a rock star. And just FYI, I only have one more class after those, and then I’ll FINALLY get my degree in August!!!)
3. Eat (and cook) at least 3 vegetarian meals a week.
4. Learn (AND USE) some more Japanese!!! (7 words or phrases a week… that is totally doable!)
5. Visit family and friends in Georgia! (Get excited folks)
6. Get a plant. (And keep it alive)
7. Plant flowers. (And keep them alive)
8. Read books. (I’m open to suggestions)
9. Make my bed in the mornings. (Easier said than done)
10. Run.
11. Organize our storage area.
12. Organize (and keep it organized) our guest room!
13. Find 2 new bands to love. (My Beatles and Taylor obsessions are great, but I need to be more than a 60 year old woman, and a 13 year old girl.)
14. Take a military hop somewhere exciting. (Singapore, Hawaii, Thailand… Or maybe all 3.)
15. Teach Cheyenne to jump through a hula hoop. (Don’t laugh, this a serious one)
16. Plan a fabulous vacation for George and me to take when he gets home.
17. Get a ‘bikini body’ (For our vacation.)
18. Learn to navigate the train systems here all by myself.
19. Sign up for an ITT tour, and take one! (ITT is information, ticket and travel. They do tours and group trips and lots of other really fun things, and I’ve never actually taken one)
20. Send George lots of packages, love letters, and baked goods.


What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions of more things to do?

If you would like George’s address while he’s gone, please e-mail me for it. He would LOVE to receive fun mail from family and friends while he’s there. (And just for the record, I like mail and packages too!!!)

Peace, Love and Sushi,

Chelsea

5 comments:

Plane Jane said...

I feel the same way! I just kinda thing its not going to actually happen...

I can help you with the vegetarian meals- we can share dinners if you want! I have a lot of good recipes and we can switch on and off for the cooking.

I think you have an awesome list. That is a TON to do. And don't worry about the trains all by yourself. I was forced to go alone about 3 months after we got here and after that- no fear! Just go do it, you'll be fine!

Chin up. We can do this! <3 hugs!

Unknown said...

I think that is a fantastic list. Too bad Paul and George weren't deploying at the same time then we could work on a list together. I lived in denial about Paul's possibility of deployment until he came home last Thursday and said "guess what." I need to make me a list, too. Most of mine will be learning to care for an infant and the bikini body one (I want to go to Hawaii when Paul gets home).

We'll get through this together girl! Come visit us in Boston while you're in the states.

Love you!

Jessica said...

Go go gadget Chelsea! I know you and Cheyenne can make the magic happen in Georges absence. He is going to be so impressed by your independence and ingenuity! The train system, Cheyenne tricks, veggie dinners, you can do it all. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Lauren Alderman said...

Chels-

I love this post. Well done my friend! So cute! I am so refreshed to see someone with a positive attitude about a deployment, but I expect nothing less from you--Miss you!

My feedback on your list is as follows:
-I'm so proud of you and your school work! Keep it up. . . almost there!
-Cheyenne will look so cute jumping through a hula hoop!
-and unfortunately i think your biggest challenge may be keeping the plants alive due to your past performance I've witnessed. . . but I still have faith!

PEACE, LOVE, and COWBOYS
Lauren

Kim said...

Great list! If you need a travel buddy for 14 or 19, I'd gladly help you out! And don't worry, we've been married, moved to Japan, and had a kid. I don't have a single scrapbook page done about any of those hugs life altering events! One of these days...
(Oh, and I think I've yet to keep a single house plant alive ever, so I hope you do better than me on that one. Thank GOD I'm better with kids than plants!)