Friday, May 21, 2010

Coffee, Shopping and Karaoke!

Yesterday was Friday and it sure was fun-filled. We had such a good day that by last night George and I agreed to extend our tour to a 4 year instead of a 3... and we've only been here a week. (Don't worry, nothing official)

The morning started off with me going with Jane to meet up with the spouses of George's squadron. Throughout the morning there was probably 12 ladies or so drop in and out of coffee and everyone was again, so welcoming and friendly and I'm really glad I got to meet everyone.

After the morning coffee George and I went on hunt number 3 for an entertainment center. This has been the biggest pain. The BXtra here has a very limited selection of entertainment centers. And they do not have coordinating accent tables either. So, we spent hours, and literally, hours... of staring at the same 3 entertainment centers, moving end tables to see which would match better, measure, debate around it, stare off into space, stare some more, measure again, move a different table over, take a picture of the wood with my iphone, walk to another piece of furniture and stare, take it's picture, stare at the phone, sliding from one picture to the next, try to remember what our old furniture looks like, stare, debate, stare. Nightmare, and a half.

In the end we bought an entertainment center with a hutch that we think our TV will fit in perfectly, and we are going to hold off on a coffee table and an end table until we can find one that we like and matches, and use our old ones (pending they aren't destroyed in the move).

At 2:45 we were done there, I told you, hours. And we had pizza-hut which is conveniently located in the BXtra so after you spend literal hours staring at furniture and you had to smell the pizza the whole time, you must order something. Then we came home, George Skyped with his friend Steven and I napped for an hour or two on the couch. I think a nap is all I needed to get over the jet-lag. Everyone kept saying I needed to be on a regular sleeping schedule, and I don't know why I didn't think to just take a nap, because for me... naps ARE a part of my normal sleep schedule!!! Since I've been napping, I feel great, everything feels pretty normal now and I am thankful for that!

Our friend's we've been staying with this whole time, their first anniversary is this weekend so they went off for a weekend trip and left us here to doggie-sit and house sit. So we went to the O-club for dinner, where they have a huge, free buffet each Friday and cheap drinks.

We sat with some neighbors and they invited us to go out to sing Karaoke. We were both pretty tired but were somehow talked into going, and man- are we glad that we did! We went to a little place not far from base that looks like an old motel. In each room there is a long table with 2 benches that run along each wall, a tv mounted on the wall and the place to control it, as well as a little hand held machine to enter in numbers of which songs you want to sing. They have several books with English songs, just like any place in the states would. But each group gets their own room! So you don't have to be shy and you don't have to wait for an hour for your song to come on! We went with about 10-12 people and it was such a good time! You can even bring your own food and drinks in! Coolest place ever. SO fun. Oh, and they give you 2 microphones so no one has to sing alone AND a tambourine and maracas!


Us at the Karaoke place!


George had to get home to make a phone call back to the states to get some paperwork straightened out (it's a long story) so we had to call when they opened, which was around 11pm our time, so we made it home at a decent hour. I got to call and chat with my mommy which was great, and one of my real favorite parts of the day. I really miss my family, and after one week I have the confidence that I can do this; this whole living on the other side of the world thing. It's going to be tough to not just be able to call when I'm out and about and running errands, but it's all going to be fine! I love you Mom, Dad, Alison and Travis! Come visit me soon!!!

Love,
Chelsea

4 comments:

Unknown said...

keep reminding everyone about your blog thru emails so they will get used to it and not miss out...what a great day...it takes 21 times to make or break a habit...so we need 21 emails to remind us to make part of our day checking to see if you've blogged...

Lauren Alderman said...

I know why it was so hard to pick out an entertainment center!! Because you just were working at pottery barn and you kept comparing everything to the hudson!! haha. LOVE YOU!

Jenn said...

You totally can do this! You're a rockstar and we can't wait to visit...am jealous that you are living such a cool experience while we're stuck in the US. Stupid acquisitions.

Susannah Sanders said...

I'm so glad y'all are enjoying Japan so much! I think in three years you guys will be ready to come back to the US!