Sunday, March 27, 2011

Not enough fun...

Ok. So.
VERY long story short, I left Japan temporarily. My heart is breaking for the Japanese people that have done nothing but show support, kindness and love towards their country, and the visitors (aka, me) that visit it.

I’ll never forget March 11, 2011… and the way I felt that day watching the tsunamis roll in that afternoon. I’ll never forget the heartache I felt watching the images on TV of people and their homes, cars and livelihood being tossed around like boats in a bathtub. I’ll never forget the fear and sadness I felt as I watched the news for hours explaining about the nuclear problems that came with the natural disaster. I’ll never forget any of it. Just like I won’t forget how I felt on September 11, 2001.

I had already made the decision to travel to Georgia to visit family many months ago, long before the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear issues. In the wake of these events, I chose to head back to the states a bit early, just to err on the side of caution and for my own sanity. I know the people at Yokota are doing incredible things for the Japanese people, and I truly can’t express the amount of pride I feel personally knowing some of the heroes that are helping in the wake of tragedy. I want them to sign autographs. :) HA!

I made it back to Georgia several days ago, and have tried to lay low! Leaving a little earlier than planned threw off my school schedule and put me in a frenzy of panic to get all of my assignments completed and submitted on time. I have finals this coming week and finding a location to take them at has been more of an issue than I’d ever imagined. I’d like to say Georgia has been just peachy (pun intended) but I’m purposely avoiding too much fun so I can keep a responsible mindset. It’s exhausting. All I want to do is explore my hometown, eat at all of my favorite restaurants, and see all of the people I miss and love so dearly. Responsibility sucks.

Now that almost all of my assignments are submitted, and all that’s left to do is study, I want to shout from the rooftops! I must admit that I haven’t let Georgia be all work and no play, as I’ve eaten at a few of my favorite places (Chick-fil-a TWICE and TWO different Mexican joints) I’ve also had pizza, and a Five Guys Cheeseburger. Yes, it’s been heavenly. I have had quite a few meals of leftovers, and am trying to remember that just because I’m kind of on vacation (not quite) I can’t let myself gain 20lbs… but it sure is hard!

If you’re in Georgia and would like to get together, shoot me an e-mail/facebook/whatever and I’d love to try to plan an outing (perhaps somewhere delicious???)

And please do not let Japan slip away from your minds. They still need lots of love and prayers. I am looking forward to when I get back to Japan and can throw my able body into the cleanup and relief efforts. Japan is so deserving. I promise. And if you haven’t been there… add it to the list of things to do… it won’t disappoint. It really is a wonderful country.

Thanks for reading and leaving comments. Love you all!

XOXO,
Chels

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you decided to leave Japan earlier.Grandpa K

George said...

I like that you labeled this post with "cheeseburgers". You are out of control.