Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spread the LOVE

So… now it’s time for a post that I’ve been writing in my head since I landed in Seattle. But… it’s going to have to come with a disclaimer: I LOVE the United States of America. Please don’t take this post in any other context.

But OMG. I think everyone and their mom should have to live overseas in another country, for a minimum of 6 months. It’s been the most eye opening experience. I realize that Japan is a whole OTHER culture, but it’s been so informative to live there. Here are some interesting things I’ve observed while being back in the US over the past two weeks.

1. American food is delicious. The variety is probably the best in the world (wings, pizza, burgers, steak, seafood, coffee houses, cafes, Mexican food, Italian food, Chick-fil-a (it’s its own food group as far as I’m concerned), sandwich shops etc.) But the portions here are out of control. I mean—seriously. I ordered a half order of chicken nachos the other day at a Mexican restaurant. They came out on a 13 inch plate, stacked ridiculously high, smothered in liquid white queso cheese, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole. It was disgusting. (But oh so very heavenly) It took me three meals to eat it. Imagine if it had been a full order. And we wonder why we’re all so fat.
2. Can we talk about recycling? I grew up in a house where my parents have always recycled. Maybe not everything, but cans and plastic for sure. When I moved out, I didn’t think twice about getting a recycling bin, meaning I did not use one, for several years. When we moved to Oklahoma we recycled because we lived on the base, and it was convenient for us to set our stuff by the curb. Texas was the same, as well as Arkansas, but I never went out of my way to do it. If it was inconvenient, oh well- I’d just toss a plastic bottle in the trashcan while I would pump my gas. But now—living in Japan where the base offers a nice, clear and easy way to recycle, and I’ve been doing it for awhile, and now I really see how much stuff could be recycled that we just toss in the garbage. Lately, the only reason my garbage has to be taken out is when it smells, and not because the bag is full. I take out the recycling at a much higher frequency! I challenge each of you to recycle everything you can, I’m talking paper, plastic, cardboard etc. for one month and see how much you’re tossing that could be recycled. I think you’ll be surprised!
3. Why are we so lazy? I sat in a Publix (southern grocery store chain for you non-southerners) parking lot today and watched not 1, not 2, not 3 but FOUR people leave their carts near their car. Are you freaking kidding me? Just take the cart to the cart return. And what’s worse is that Publix baggers will take your groceries out for you. If you’re too daggum lazy to put your cart away, at least pay the teenagers $2-$3 for them to do it for you instead of risking your cart to be rolled into someone else’s vehicle!!! That’s just common courtesy folks.
4. When did American vending machines get so expensive?! I’ve only been away for ten months, but since my return I’ve already paid $2.50 for a coke. And $1.25 for a bag of cheez-its. Are ya kidding me? (But hey, I paid it, so I guess if you’re not a part of the solution, you’re a part of the problem, right?)
5. Are we not smiling anymore? Are we so unhappy that we can’t offer a smile??? When I went to take my finals today I spoke with at least 6 different employees at the school. Not one of them offered me a smile. And I’m a smiley person!!! I smile when I ask questions, I smile when I thank them kindly for answering my questions. No “you’re welcome.”? No “Have a good day.”? No “Thanks, you too.”? And one lady at the post office yesterday was rude too. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve just been running into the wrong people at the wrong time (I really should credit it to that) but I’m unhappy with the friendliness of Atlanta, Georgia. What happened to my sweet state of southern hospitality???
6. We still have to tip here…. Awwww crap.
7. In Japan, the culture and relationships are a little different than here. Example: eye contact. In Japan, eye contact means a relationship has been made. Driving? Need to move over a lane? Just make eye contact with the driver next to you, and you’re in. Blinker, horn, staring… nobody moves out my way here in GA these days…


That’s all the negative I’ve got for now. I’m sure more will come up. I still love Georgia and am proud to call it my stomping grounds. I can’t just end the post with bad things about the country and state I love so much. So, let me also tell you about the wonderful things that have happened since I’ve been here.

I needed to reschedule a doctor’s appointment that I missed while in Japan. On the phone as I’m explaining as to why I don’t need a referral, how I don’t live here and why I don’t have my medical records, the woman at the doctor’s office was incredibly sweet. She told me of how she and her family have been praying for the people in Japan since they heard about the disaster. She and her husband lived in Yokohama, Japan for several years when they were younger. We chatted for about half an hour. What a doll. I’m looking forward to meeting her in person.

When I needed to cancel the various flights I had booked and would explain my situation to the various airline companies, each and every employee told me they had been thinking about and praying for Japan.

The shuttle bus driver at the Seattle airport said the same thing. So did the rental car people, store clerks at the mall. Many also told me they’ve donated their hard earned money.

The guy at my sister’s gym helped me out with a very cheap month’s membership learning I was here temporarily.

While one lady was rude to me at the post office, another wasn’t. As I asked a question about shipping to an APO box, she asked if I was in the military. I said my husband was and she shook my hand and thanked me for my husband’s service and all that I put up with as a military spouse. She about made me cry.

And today I saw a college kid give a bag of potato chips to a bum outside of a gas station who asked for money because he said he was hungry.

There is good in all of us. There is bad in all of us, but there is good too. As the human race, let’s all unite as one. Help your neighbor carry their groceries up the stairs. Stop and thank a veteran. Help an old lady cross the street. Tip the bagger at the store an extra dollar. Give a homeless man a bag of potato chips. Hold the door for someone. Let someone else have that parking spot. Smile at someone. Pray for someone. Let a car over in your lane, while you’re driving, even if they have an ugly Auburn sticker, and didn’t use a blinker. Thank your waiter/waitress sincerely for their job well done, not only with money, but with kind words that may help them get through their night. Leave a comment for the novice blog writer who seldom gets comments but loves when she does (yes, this means my blog… or anyone else’s for that matter!!!). And write “I love you” on 5 different people’s Facebook walls, and mean it!!

Be good. Be the change you want to see in the world.

And think. Use your brain, and your heart to make decisions.

And keep thinking about and praying for Japan. Please. And thanks.

Just trying to spread the love,
Chelsea

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your post. You made me cry! Miss you lots. Love, Kristen H.

Kim said...

Your smiley-ness always makes me smile Chelsea. Glad you are having fun at home! I feel the same way way as your post though- I love America, but some things are just better in Japan! I might have to steal part of this for my own blog. Hope to see you at "home" soon!

Unknown said...

I always have extra smiles to give away :) I love you Chelsea Lou! And I am so proud of you and George, praying for all!